Sunday, August 3, 2008

Water Rafting

Rafting or whitewater rafting is a challenging recreational activity utilizing a raft to navigate a river or other bodies of water. This is usually done on whitewater or different degrees of rough water, in order to thrill and excite the raft passengers. The development of this activity as a leisure sport has become popular since the mid 1970s.

Rafts were originally the simplest form of man’s transportation in water and were then made of several logs, planks or reeds which were fastened together. Nowadays, inflatable boat were used as rafts which were later adopted by the military for beach assaults. It consists of very durable, multi-layered rubberized or vinyl fabrics with several independent air chambers. Its length varies between 3.5 m (11 ft) and 6 m (20 ft), the width between 1.8 m (6 ft) and 2.5 m (8 ft). The exception to this size rule is usually the pack raft, which is designed as a portable single-person raft and may be as small as 1.5m long and weigh as little as 4 lbs.

As I consider myself adventurous, I would like to try to get on and paddle my way to this wonderful adventure. It will be surely one of my wonderful experiences in life. I want to do it in time I am not busy working. I want to consider this adventure as one of the best experiences that I will enjoy.

No comments: